Spinalonga-Elounda- Agios Nikolaos -Olive factory tour starting from Heraklion
Come with us to the last leper colony in Europe, the island of Spinalonga and to the picturesque town of Agios Nikolaos in Lasithi prefecture. We will arrive to the island by boat only 20 minutes from Elounda village .On the island we will have a guided tour around it by a professional guide. Originally, Venetians fortified the islet in 1579, by building a fortress with 40 cannons and they are actually the best preserved walls in Europe.
Spinalonga used to be a leper colony from 1903 until 1957, where lepers could have a better life, medical help and economical support. The ruins of the market street with the shops, the hospital and many small houses in which lepers lived isolated, can still be seen.
Afterwards we will have time to enjoy free time in Elounda village for swimming .
Our second stop will be Ag.Nikolaos, a town with 14.000 inhabitants which is built on the side of the Gulf of Mirabello. In the centre is the lake Voulismeni, where you can have a coffee break or a walk around the lake. Next to the picturesque harbor are numerous small shops that give you the opportunity to do some “serious shopping”.Our last stop before returning is at the olive factory in Malia to taste the famous Cretan olive oil . Return to hotel about 18:00-18:30 p.m
- Hotel pick up and drop off
- Air-conditioned bus transportation
- Escort Guide ( English,German or French speaking).
- Food & Boat ticket 15 €
- Entrance to Spinalonga island €8
- Upon booking this tour please mention your hotel name and location. You will be notified by email about the nearest pick up point and time. For pick ups from the Heraklion city center please note that there is an extra cost of 3€ for the transfer.
- Tour duration : about 10 hours
- Things you must have with you:
- Proper shoes or sandals
- A hat and sunscreen
- A bottle of water
- Swimsuit and towel
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.