Samaria Gorge starting from Heraklion
Experience a trek through one of Europe’s longest gorges and Crete’s only National Park. With a total length of 16km and an altidute of 1230 metres you will start one of your most exciting tours in Crete . The spectacular view of the White Mountains ( Lefka Ori ) the rare flora and fauna of the gorge as well as the famous ‘’Iron Gates” ( Sideroportes) will amaze you as you are descending to the end towards sea level where you can find the small coastal village of “Agia Roumeli’’. A journey to Crete could never be considered complete unless you haven’t paid a visit to the Samaria gorge.
TRIP ITINERARY :
- We pick you up from your hotel early in the morning and we drive you with our bus and Escort-Mountain Guide to the Omalos Plateau where the entrance of the Samaria gorge is.
- During the drive you will be explained all the necessary information for your hike and also our guide will collect the entrance and ferry fee so you can skip the line of the ticket offices.
- You walk at your own pace and not with the whole group. Our guide will be always at the end of the group in case someone needs help.
- After a 5-6 hours walk you will arrive at the village of Agia Roumeli where you can enjoy free time for lunch ( optional) or a swim at the Libyan Sea.
- At 17:30 p.m, you will get on the ferry to Sfakia village where our buses will be waiting for you to return you back to your morning pick up point. An amazing 1 hour ferry ride near the south coastline of Crete.
- A long but beautiful trip has come to its end accompanying you with the most amazing memories !!!
- Hotel pick up and drop off
- Air-conditioned bus transportation
- Escort – Mountain Guide ( English & Russian speaking)
- Entrance fee to the Samaria gorge: 5 € ( children until 15 yrs old don’t pay entrance fee)
- Ferry ticket to Sfakia : 13€ ( children until 11 yrs old pay half ticket)
- Personal expenses ( breakfast , lunch)
- Upon booking this tour please mention your hotel name and location.You will be notified by email about the nearest pick up point and time. For pick ups from the Heraklion city center please note that there is an extra cost of 3€ for the transfer.
- The hike is neither suggested for people suffering from heart problems or from health conditions of the lower extremities nor for pregnant women.
- Things you must have with you:
- Proper shoes such as trainers and socks as well as a jacket for the morning breeze.
- A hat and sunscreen
- A bottle of water to refill inside the gorge
- Swimsuit and towel
- Cash for entrance fee & ferry fee
- We kindly ask you to comply with the rules of the Park and respect the flora and fauna of this magnificent place.
- Please bring your own face masks to wear during the bus drive as a Covid-19 precaution.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.