Knossos & Lasithi plateau tour starting from Heraklion
A journey back in time!! Visit the palace of King Minos and learn about the Minoan civilization that flourished during the Bronze age. Many myths are connected to this place such as the myth of Daedalos and Icaros as well as the famous myth of the Labyrinth and the Minotaur.
After our guided tour to Knossos, our first stop will be the Monastery of "Kera Kardiotissa". This monastery which is runed by nuns is dedicated to Virgin Mary .We will continue our drive to the south and reach the Plateau of Lassithi, which may have been the crater of an ancient volcano.We will have a short stop to visit the Monastery “Vidiani” which is dedicated to Zoodohos Pigi (The life giving spring). The monastery hosts a small natural history museum, in collaboration with the University of Crete. A lunch break will follow in one of the local villages in Lassithi. A visit to the Lasithi plateau would not be considered complete if we did not pay a visit to the Dicti Cave where Zeus, the father of Greek Gods, was born.
While crossing the villages of the Plateau, we pay a short visit at a traditional potter's factory, seeing an ancient ceramic art, which completes today more than 8.000 years of history. Leaving the Plateau we will see the views down to Pediada Plain which are truly magnificent.
- Hotel pick up and drop off
- Air-conditioned bus transportation
- Escort Guide ( English or German or French speaking)
- Personal expenses ( lunch and drinks)
- Knossos entrance fee:15.00€ (free if you are citizen of EU until 25 yrs old or child until 5 years old of NON –EU country) or combination ticket 20 € ( Knossos palace & museum) or reduced admission 8€ ( granted to citizens of EU over 65 years old)
- Dicti Cave entrance:6.00€
- Upon booking this tour please mention your hotel name and location. You will be notified by email about the nearest pick up point and time. For pick ups from the Heraklion city center please note that there is an extra cost of 3€ for the transfer.
- Tour duration : about 12 hours
- Things you must have with you:
- Proper shoes
- A hat and sunscreen
- A bottle of water
- Please bring your own face masks to wear during the bus drive as a Covid-19 precaution.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.