Jeep Safari to the White Mountains of Crete
Combine a unique safari tour in the White Mountains of Crete and take in the most incredible panoramic views, visit traditional Cretan villages, learn the history and the traditions of the island, and find out all about the lifestyle of a Cretan shepherd while exploring an original shepherd’s hut.
Enjoy the unique view of Chania from an altitude of 1350m and discover the wildlife of Crete with the help of our premium off road vehicles, driven by specialised multilingual escorts. Our amazing off-road adventure begins by crossing a valley full of orange and avocado trees, and many vegetables gardens. Climbing up the foothills of the White Mountains where we make our coffee stop at Deres to enjoy our morning break. Continuing we drive through the Cretan villages of Vatolakos, Alikianos, Fournes, Meskla, Zourva and Therisso getting a taste of the mountainous Crete in the foot of the White Mountains, following an off road route up to the shepherd’s hut called “Mitato” far away from tourist areas.
We are travelling on uncharted routes where only a four wheel drive can approach and we enjoy the magnificent panoramic views of northern Crete and, if lucky ... to marvel some wild eagles and goats from up close giving us a good reason to stop and capture the moment. A small rocky road will lead us up to our trip’s highest point of 1350 meters altitude in the heart of the White Mountains of Crete, where you will find out all about the lifestyle of a shepherd.
We will learn where the famous Cretan “Graviera” cheese was produced and explore an original Shepherd's hut called "Mitato". On our way back we will enjoy the best panoramic view of Chania from above, until we arrive at Therisso village for a short walk in the historic village and a visit in a small Cretan family tavern for our lunch. After our lunch we will follow the road through the amazing gorge of Therisso that will lead us back to the city of Chania.
TRIP ITINERARY :
- We will pick you up from your hotel in the morning ( between 8:00a.m – 9:00 a.m )
- Visit the White Mountains and enjoy the best panoramic view of Chania
- Pay a visit to an original shepherd’s hut or else “Mitato” at 1350m .
- Lunch with traditional Cretan food and wine
- Duration 6- 7 hours , Distance : 111 km , Altidute : 1350 m
- Hotel pick up and drop off
- Premium off-road vehicles (7 or 9 seater) driven by multilingual escort-drivers
- Traditional Cretan lunch (we can arrange vegetarian alternatives, but information is required upon reservation. This also counts for any kind of food allergies)
- A visit to an original shepherd’s hut “Mitato”
- Liability insurance, local fees and taxes
- Upon booking this tour please mention your hotel name and location. You will be notified by email about the nearest pick up point and time.
- The trip is not recommended to people suffering from car sickness, having mobility or kinetic or back problems, pregnant women or for children younger than 7 years old as we don't provide baby seats, or people taller than 195 cm or heavier than 130 kg.
- We reserve the right to make minor changes in the program when considered necessary, for example, in case of unfavourable weather conditions. This can be done without any prior notice.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.