Jeep Safari tour to a Shephard’s Hut and Cheese Making Process – Rethymno area
Would you like to go to a Jeep Safari tour to Rethymno area, learn the history ,the traditions of this island as well as meeting locals, embracing Cretan hospitality and tasting delicious Cretan cuisine? This tour combines all the above with panoramic views and a visit to an original Shepherd’s Hut called “Mitato “ in greek .
Our day starts from Rethymnon city heading south east passing through the traditional villages of Milopotamos (Halepa, Garazo, Faratsi, Veni) and areas with dense vegetation, fresh aromas and unique views until we reach the historic Halepa Monastery, that used to be a refuge for Cretan rebels during civil wars.The monastery has a unique view to the mountains and the beautiful valley . We will continue the way up to the shepherd’s hut and if we are lucky, we will get to see some wild eagles and goats and take some photos.Upon arriving at the Shepherd’s hut you will find out all about the lifestyle of a shepherd and the cheese making process.
Our trip continues to a traditional Cretan tavern in Axos village, where we are going to introduce you to Cretan cuisine and heartfelt hospitality with plenty of local food and wine. On our way back we will follow an asphalt road that will lead us to the city of Rethymnon.
TRIP ITINERARY :
- We will pick you up from your hotel in the morning ( between 8:30a.m – 9:30 a.m )
- Enjoy the best panoramic view of Psiloritis Peak
- Visit to an original shepherd’s hut or else “Mitato”
- Experience live the cheese making process and taste local cheese
- Lunch with traditional Cretan food and wine
- Duration 6- 7hours , Distance : 135 km , Altidute : 550 m
- Hotel pick up and drop off
- Premium off-road vehicles (7 or 9 seater) driven by multilingual escort-drivers
- Traditional Cretan lunch & wine (we can arrange vegetarian alternatives, but information is required upon reservation. This also counts for any kind of food allergies)
- Liability insurance, local fees and taxes
- Upon booking this tour please mention your hotel name and location. You will be notified by email about the nearest pick up point and time.
- Please bring your own face masks to wear during the drive as a Covid-19 precaution.
- The trip is not recommended for people who have mobility or back problems, car sickness as well as pregnant women or for children younger than 7 years old as we do not provide baby seats. It is also not recommended for people taller than 195cm and more than 130 kg.
- We reserve the right to make minor changes in the program when considered necessary, for example, in case of unfavourable weather conditions. This can be done without any prior notice.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.